Cross-Vane Panel Trap
The Cross-Vane Panel Trap is an effective and user-friendly beetle trap that is used for pest suppression and detection programs, including the detection the presence of invasive insects by quarantine at ports of entry. It can also be used for indoor trapping of beetles that infest stored grain and other food products.
The Cross-Vane Panel Trap consists of:
- Two panels of Coroplast (corrugated plastic) 800mm x 300mm
- Two Coroplast funnels 530mm diameter
- The bottom funnel and wet/dry collection cup of the Lindgren Funnel Trap
- Cable ties, white plastic pins and trap hanger
The trap collapses flat for easy storage and transportation. When assembled, it measures 1120mm height x 440mm.
The Cross-Vane Panel Trap is supplied with a wet/dry collection cup. It is adapted to tightly hold the bottom funnel and collection jars of the Lindgren Funnel Trap.
The wet trapping option helps preserve specimens and will minimize escape. For this procedure, fill about 1/3 of the collection cup with a non-toxic liquid (such as antifreeze).
The panels have holes to hang lures. There are cut-outs in the panels to allow dispersal of odours in all directions.
Australian Entomological Supplies Pty Ltd does not supply lures, pheromones or vapor tape. If required, they must be purchased locally.
The capture and retention of the trap could possibly be improved by treating the panels with formulations that renders the surfaces more slippery. One such product is Fluon, however the trap efficiency may vary with product formulation and the various climatic conditions.
Field placement: If possible, place traps in open or among non-host trees. Place traps away from trees to ensure that the trap’s distinctive profile is not confused with tree trunks. Place traps away from or above underbrush to position them within the beetle’s flight path.
EC007 Panel Trap Assembly Instructions
- Align the tabs of the main body with the slots in the hood and collecting funnels.
- Push the tabs through the holes as much as possible.
- Protrude at least two plastic retainers through the holes in tabs (8) (that emerge from the collecting funnel). Attach the collecting cup by hooking ends of the retainers in the keyholes in the corner of the cup.
- Attach the hanging wire through two holes in the opposite tabs protruding through the hood of the trap.
- Mount the lure into the lure opening (7) by putting the lure holder through the hole located directly above the opening.
- A copy of these instructions, including a diagram, comes with the trap.